All of Encon's projects are implemented as part of our Impact Investing approach. Impact Investing generates both financial and societal returns. In addition to a financial return, Impact Investing investments and projects also have a positive social impact through energy savings, renewable energy and sustainability projects.
Today's society requires capital providers and investors to adapt. In terms of mindset and organisational model, investors are not yet sufficiently focused on rewarding impact, although investment policy is increasingly focused on preventing damage. The next step is to achieve a societal return with investments, as well as an economic return. It is therefore important that investors, banks, asset managers and large corporations focus on impact investing. We are convinced that impact investing will continue to grow because there will be better circular and social earning models, but also because society demands it. In tomorrow's economy, it will become more and more self-evident that doing business serves two purposes: doing something that makes the world a better place while still achieving a return on investment.
The united nations' sustainable development goals (SDG)
Impact Investing and Encon projects are also part of the 17 sustainable development goals that have been in place since 1 January 2016 thanks to the United Nations. Between 2016 and 2030, the following goals must be achieved.
- SDG 1 - To end poverty everywhere and in all its forms
- SDG 2 - To end hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- SDG 3 - To ensure good health and promote well-being for all ages
- SDG 4 - To ensure equal access to quality education and promote lifelong learning for all
- SDG 5 - To achieve gender equality and empowerment for all women and girls
- SDG 6 - To ensure access and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7 - To ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for everyone
- SDG 8 - To promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- SDG 9 - To build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and stimulate innovation
- SDG 10 - To reduce inequalities within and between countries
- SDG 11 - To make cities and human settlements inclusive, secure, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 12 - To ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 13 - To take urgent action to combat climate change and its impact
- SDG 14 - To conserve and make sustainable use of oceans, seas and maritime resources
- SDG 15 - To protect, restore and promote the sustainable use of continental ecosystems, manage forests sustainably, combat desertification, stop land degradation and reverse it and halt the loss of biodiversity
- SDG 16 - To promote peaceful and inclusive societies to ensure sustainable development and access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and accessible institutions at all levels.
- SDG 17 - To strengthen implementation tools and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
Due to the continuous evolution of the projects, Encon has set up funds in climate portfolios, which allow investors to invest in sustainability projects. These projects generate an average return of 12% on equity.
The following table provides an overview of the savings that Encon has achieved since its creation.